Conference sessions will be held at the Hotel Sorrento, a historic boutique hotel in Seattle’s First Hill district.
A limited number of rooms have been reserved for FCHS attendees at the Hotel Sorrento at the discounted rate of $229/night (plus taxes). Sorrento guests may enjoy two drinks at the daily Happy Hour (5-6 pm) at no cost.
The Sorrento is a boutique hotel and there are only two guest rooms in the hotel that meet contemporary ADA standards. Please be sure to inform the hotel if you require one of these rooms.
In order to reserve a room, you must call the reservation department directly at (800) 426-1265 and reference the “FRENCH COLONIAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY.” We have reserved a block of rooms at the Hotel Sorrento from May 31-June 2. There are a limited number of rooms that will be available up to three days prior to the conference at the discounted rate. You will be required to provide a credit card to confirm your reservation. In order to take advantage of the discounted room rate of $229/night, you must reserve your room by Tuesday May 1, 2018. After the slate of rooms has filled, or, after May 1, guests may book rooms at the non-discounted rate.
Alternative arrangements have been made with Silver Cloud Hotel – Seattle Broadway, which is a 10 minute walk from the Hotel Sorrento. (There are several Silver Cloud Hotels in Seattle, so be sure you are dealing with Silver Cloud-Broadway). Silver Cloud - Broadway is close to Seattle University and the Broadway district of Capitol Hill, with restaurants and nightlife, and also serves some residential clients receiving treatment at nearby hospitals. Singles and Doubles may be booked at the FCHS rate of $229/night. Reservations should be made online through our group profile reservation. Please note that no rooms have been set aside for FCHS. Instead, our members can reserve rooms from the Silver Cloud’s general inventory for $229/night until May 1, 2018. Book early. If the hotel is completely reserved by March 1, there will be no rooms held for FCHS members.
For Online Booking use this link: FCHS
- On the left hand side of the screen please select the desired arrival and departure dates and input the number of guests.
- Click on "Search for Availability"
- Click on "Reserve" for the room type you prefer. It will take you to a page where guests can enter all their information.
- Finally, Click on "Make a Reservation" and your guests should receive a reservation confirmation email shortly thereafter.
Group rates are net, non-comissionable & exclusive of lodging tax.
Please note a $15.00 taxable surcharge is applied for each adult beyond double occupancy. There is a max of (4) four individuals per guestroom, regardless of guestroom type.
Phone Reservation Instructions
Call our hotel directly at 206-325-1400 and ask for the "French Colonial Historical Society" or "FCHS" group and a guest services agent will be able to assist with making your reservation.
Arriving by air:
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) is served by the Link Light Rail, which is a half mile, covered walk from the Airport terminal (access from inside the Parking Garage, Level 4). It costs $3.00, and you can purchase tickets with a Credit Card or Cash at the pay station. (If you plan to transfer to a bus, you can also purchase an ORCA card there too). Link Light Rail runs from 5am to 12:45am out of the SEATAC.
- For going to Hotel Sorrento or Silver Cloud - Broadway, after about 40 minutes get off at Capitol Hill Station (140 Broadway E., Seattle, WA 98101). From here, you can walk for 18 minutes (mostly flat) to Hotel Sorrento, or 10 minutes (mostly flat) to Silver Cloud – Broadway. Or, take a Lyft, taxi ($7) or Bus # 60.
- Alternatively, if you are staying at Silver Cloud - Broadway, you can take the Link light rail to Westlake station. There is a hotel shuttle service pick up/drop off in front of the shop Sephora (at 5th & Pine) that runs during “normal” operating hours. Contact the hotel at 206.325.1400 for shuttle pickup. You can also walk to the Westin Hotel (3 minutes) and get a taxi ($10).
- Use Google Directions to get travel-route options. We don’t recommend http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov because it is not up to date and does not include the new Capitol Hill Station.
- Alternatively, you may use a car service such as Lyft, for door-to-door service (rates vary by time of arrival, $33-42), or reserve with a shuttle service, such as Shuttle Express ($45).
- You may also hire a flat rate taxi for $39. http://flatrateforhire.com You may also hire taxis that are readily available at the airport for slightly higher rates.
Arriving by car:
- The Hotel Sorrento will provide a reduced parking rate of $20 per day (plus taxes) in their covered lot.
- The Silver Cloud has a covered lot and parking is $35 per day (plus taxes) with unlimited in and out privileges.
- There is paid parking at several garages and parking lots at Seattle University. https://www.seattleu.edu/transportation/parking/visitor-parking/ Parking after 3 p.m. weekdays and on weekends is $6.
- Street-parking in this area of Seattle is up to $4 an hour and you are required to pay between 8am and 10pm. Street parking rates and maximum parking times vary by street and area in Seattle and range from $1.25 to $4 an hour. On Sundays and holidays street-parking is free. Outside the downtown and nearby areas, street-parking is free, but may have zoned, two-hour parking limits. There is free parking at the Frye Art Museum while you are visiting the museum.
Getting Around Seattle:
Besides buses and Link light rail, there are some streetcar services, in First Hill, Downtown, and South Lake Union. The nearest streetcar stop is in front of Seattle University, on Broadway.
Haitian Revolution Simulation Game
Professors Stewart King and Allison Shutt will be leading a session of their unpublished educational Reacting to the Past-style role-playing game on Friday evening, June 1 in the Top of the Town Room of the Hotel Sorrento. Advance registration is required. Players will receive instructions, players’ manual, and a role assignment as an actual historical personage, including the character’s background and goals. Game play consists of debating positions, waging battles, and staging coups in character. Costumes are encouraged, but no real weapons or realistic imitation weapons are allowed. Cardboard renderings of 18th-century weaponry are okay. An additional fee of $25.00 will cover the cost of catering from Taste of the Caribbean, a local restaurant specializing in Jamaican fare.
Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF)
The festival will be underway during the conference. Screenings are held all over the city; participants are encouraged to purchase tickets independently. The closest venue to the hotels is the SIFF Cinema Egyptian. AMC Pacific Place 11 is also walking distance.
The Frye Art Museum
The museum is a 10-minute walk from Hotel Sorrento, is always free. The exhibition “Towards Impressionism: Landscape Painting from Corot to Monet” will be on.