Conference sessions will be held at the Hotel Sorrento, a historic boutique hotel in Seattle’s First Hill district.
A limited number of rooms have been reserved for FCHS attendees at the Hotel Sorrento at the discounted rate of $229/night (plus taxes). Sorrento guests may enjoy two drinks at the daily Happy Hour (5-6 pm) at no cost.
The Sorrento is a boutique hotel and there are only two guest rooms in the hotel that meet contemporary ADA standards. Please be sure to inform the hotel if you require one of these rooms.
In order to reserve a room, you must call the reservation department directly at (800) 426-1265 and reference the “FRENCH COLONIAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY.” We have reserved a block of rooms at the Hotel Sorrento from May 31-June 2. There are a limited number of rooms that will be available up to three days prior to the conference at the discounted rate. You will be required to provide a credit card to confirm your reservation. In order to take advantage of the discounted room rate of $229/night, you must reserve your room by Tuesday May 1, 2018. After the slate of rooms has filled, or, after May 1, guests may book rooms at the non-discounted rate.
Alternative arrangements have been made with Silver Cloud Hotel – Seattle Broadway, which is a 10 minute walk from the Hotel Sorrento. (There are several Silver Cloud Hotels in Seattle, so be sure you are dealing with Silver Cloud-Broadway). Silver Cloud - Broadway is close to Seattle University and the Broadway district of Capitol Hill, with restaurants and nightlife, and also serves some residential clients receiving treatment at nearby hospitals. Singles and Doubles may be booked at the FCHS rate of $229/night. Reservations should be made online through our group profile reservation. Please note that no rooms have been set aside for FCHS. Instead, our members can reserve rooms from the Silver Cloud’s general inventory for $229/night until May 1, 2018. Book early. If the hotel is completely reserved by March 1, there will be no rooms held for FCHS members.
For Online Booking use this link: FCHS
- On the left hand side of the screen please select the desired arrival and departure dates and input the number of guests.
- Click on "Search for Availability"
- Click on "Reserve" for the room type you prefer. It will take you to a page where guests can enter all their information.
- Finally, Click on "Make a Reservation" and your guests should receive a reservation confirmation email shortly thereafter.
Group rates are net, non-comissionable & exclusive of lodging tax.
Please note a $15.00 taxable surcharge is applied for each adult beyond double occupancy. There is a max of (4) four individuals per guestroom, regardless of guestroom type.
Phone Reservation Instructions
Call our hotel directly at 206-325-1400 and ask for the "French Colonial Historical Society" or "FCHS" group and a guest services agent will be able to assist with making your reservation.
Other Seattle Hotels, Inns, and B&Bs (in order of proximity to Hotel Sorrento)
Inn at Virginia Mason
1006 Spring Street, Seattle, WA 98104 (0.1 miles, 2 minute walk from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: $209 - $279 per night
1415 5th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101 (0.6 miles from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: $199 - $279 per night
1727 15th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122 (1 mile from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: about $158 - $178 per night
2106 5th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121 (1 mile from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: about $215 - $250 per night
2301 3rd Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121 (1.2 miles from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: $224 - $245 per night
La Quinta Inn & Suites
2224 8th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122 (1 mile from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: $269 - $299 per night
Bed & Breakfast Inn Seattle
1808 E Denny Way, Seattle, WA 98122 (1.2 miles from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: $122 - $152 per night, 3-night minimum for most rooms
Roy Street Commons
621 12th Avenue E, Seattle, WA 98102 (1.4 miles from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: about $154 per night
Mildred’s Bed & Breakfast
1202 15th Avenue E, Seattle, WA 98112 (1.9 miles from Hotel Sorrento)
General room rates: $125 - $265, varies with season
The Maxwell Hotel
300 Roy Street, Seattle, WA 98109 (2 miles from Hotel Sorrento)
Rates for May 31 - June 2: $235 - $280 per night
Type "Seattle Capitol Hill". Capitol Hill is a large neighborhood, so from the northern area of Capitol Hill it would take 30 minutes or more to walk to Hotel Sorrento. Ask the host about the distance and public transportation options.
Arriving by air:
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) is served by the Link Light Rail, which is a half mile, covered walk from the Airport terminal (access from inside the Parking Garage, Level 4). It costs $3.00, and you can purchase tickets with a Credit Card or Cash at the pay station. (If you plan to transfer to a bus, you can also purchase an ORCA card there too). Link Light Rail runs from 5am to 12:45am out of the SEATAC.
- For going to Hotel Sorrento or Silver Cloud - Broadway, after about 40 minutes get off at Capitol Hill Station (140 Broadway E., Seattle, WA 98101). From here, you can walk for 18 minutes (mostly flat) to Hotel Sorrento, or 10 minutes (mostly flat) to Silver Cloud – Broadway. Or, take a Lyft, taxi ($7) or Bus # 60.
- Alternatively, if you are staying at Silver Cloud - Broadway, you can take the Link light rail to Westlake station. There is a hotel shuttle service pick up/drop off in front of the shop Sephora (at 5th & Pine) that runs during “normal” operating hours. Contact the hotel at 206.325.1400 for shuttle pickup. You can also walk to the Westin Hotel (3 minutes) and get a taxi ($10).
- Use Google Directions to get travel-route options. We don’t recommend http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov because it is not up to date and does not include the new Capitol Hill Station.
- Alternatively, you may use a car service such as Lyft, for door-to-door service (rates vary by time of arrival, $33-42), or reserve with a shuttle service, such as Shuttle Express ($45).
- You may also hire a flat rate taxi for $39. http://flatrateforhire.com You may also hire taxis that are readily available at the airport for slightly higher rates.
Arriving by car:
- The Hotel Sorrento will provide a reduced parking rate of $20 per day (plus taxes) in their covered lot.
- The Silver Cloud has a covered lot and parking is $35 per day (plus taxes) with unlimited in and out privileges.
- There is paid parking at several garages and parking lots at Seattle University. https://www.seattleu.edu/transportation/parking/visitor-parking/ Parking after 3 p.m. weekdays and on weekends is $6.
- Street-parking in this area of Seattle is up to $4 an hour and you are required to pay between 8am and 10pm. Street parking rates and maximum parking times vary by street and area in Seattle and range from $1.25 to $4 an hour. On Sundays and holidays street-parking is free. Outside the downtown and nearby areas, street-parking is free, but may have zoned, two-hour parking limits. There is free parking at the Frye Art Museum while you are visiting the museum.
Getting Around Seattle:
Besides buses and Link light rail, there are some streetcar services, in First Hill, Downtown, and South Lake Union. The nearest streetcar stop is in front of Seattle University, on Broadway.
Haitian Revolution Simulation Game
Professors Stewart King and Allison Shutt will be leading a session of their unpublished educational Reacting to the Past-style role-playing game on Friday evening, June 1 in the Top of the Town Room of the Hotel Sorrento. Advance registration is required. Players will receive instructions, players’ manual, and a role assignment as an actual historical personage, including the character’s background and goals. Game play consists of debating positions, waging battles, and staging coups in character. Costumes are encouraged, but no real weapons or realistic imitation weapons are allowed. Cardboard renderings of 18th-century weaponry are okay. An additional fee of $25.00 will cover the cost of catering from Taste of the Caribbean, a local restaurant specializing in Jamaican fare.
Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF)
The festival will be underway during the conference. Screenings are held all over the city; participants are encouraged to purchase tickets independently. The closest venue to the hotels is the SIFF Cinema Egyptian. AMC Pacific Place 11 is also walking distance.
Guided tours of Seattle in French
Sylvie Joseph-Julien, editor of the quarterly magazine serving Seattle’s Francophone community, Mag' fr@ncophone, will offer two tours of Pioneer Square district in French on Sunday, June 3, at 9:30 am and 11:15 am. The cost is $15.00 per person and space is limited to 12 people on each tour. If interested, please register online (select the "French tours" tab). You can contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visites guidées de Seattle en français
Mme Sylvie Joseph-Julien, éditrice du magazine qui sert la communauté francophone de Seattle, Mag' fr@ncophone, propose deux visites du quartier de Pioneer Square en français, le dimanche 3 juin à 9:30 et 11:15 am. Le prix de la visite est de $15.00 par personne et les visites sont limitées à 12 personnes. Inscrivez-vous à l'avance. s.v.p : (Sélectionnez l’onglet "French tours"). Contact de Mme Joseph-Julien: email@example.com.
The museum is a 10-minute walk from Hotel Sorrento, is always free. The exhibition “Towards Impressionism: Landscape Painting from Corot to Monet” will be on.
The following restaurant guide is also available as a PDF.
First Hill (3 to 4-minute walk from Hotel Sorrento)
Coffee Tree $ 905 8th Avenue www.coffeetreeseattle.com
M-F 6-6, Sat & Sun 6-3. Comfy local coffee shop with specialty coffees, teas, and sandwiches.
Café Frieda $ 704 Terry Avenue http://fryemuseum.org/cafe
Lunch. 11–4:30 T-Sun, 11–6:30 Thurs. Located in the Frye Art Museum, free admission. Casual lunch in a nice setting.
Primo Pizza Parlor $$ 1106 8th Avenue www.primoseattle.com
Dinner, Happy Hour. Happy-hour and late-night comfort food with an “ancient Roman” theme.
Capitol Hill (Within 15-minute walking distance from Hotel Sorrento, Silver Cloud Hotel & Seattle University)
Café Presse $ 1117 12th Avenue cafepresseseattle.com/home/
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Casual French bar-café with very nice dishes, house-made pastries and affordable wines.
Sémillon $ 1150 11th Avenue semillonbakerycafe.com
Amandine Café/ Bakery $ 1424 11th Avenue www.amandineseattle.com
M-Th 7-4, F 7-6, Sat Sun 8-6. Daily pastries, great espresso drinks, tea. Nice mezzanine. In Chophouse Row.
HoneyHole $ 703 E Pike Street thehoneyhole.com
Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour. Gourmet sandwiches for lunch & dinner. Bar with craft cocktails.
Rhein Haus $ 912 12th Avenue www.rheinhausseattle.com
Brunch, Dinner, Late Night. German biergarten with pretzels, schnitzels, and bratwurst. Includes a bocce ball court.
Oddfellows Café $ 1525 10th Ave www.oddfellowscafe.com
Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour. American eatery & bar with seasonal cooking & craft drinks. Next to a bookstore.
Mamnoon $$ 1508 Melrose Avenue www.mamnoonrestaurant.com
Brunch, Lunch, Dinner. Excellent Middle-Eastern cuisines with a modern twist.
Marmite $$ 1424 11th Avenue www.marmiteseattle.com
Brunch, Lunch, Dinner. French restaurant with soups, sandwiches, and hearty brunch in renovated Chophouse Row.
Ba Bar $$ 550 12th Avenue babarseattle.com
Lunch, Happy Hour, Dinner, Late Night. 10 am-2am. Vietnamese restaurant with creative cocktails & comfort food with industrial vibes. There can be a long line for dinner. Does not accept reservations.
Momiji $$ 1522 12th Avenue www.momijiseattle.com
Dinner, Happy Hour, Late Night. Japanese restaurant with a Zen courtyard. Big menu with noodles, sushi, large rolls.
Plum Bistro $$ 1429 12th Ave plumbistro.com
Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour. Local, sustainable, & organic bistro serving vegan dishes in an artsy, industrial setting.
Barrio $$ 1420 12th Avenue www.barriorestaurant.com
Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour. Mexican restaurant and bar with a modern mosaic. Latin-inspired cocktails.
Stateside $$ 300 E Pike Street www.statesideseattle.com
Dinner, Dessert, Weekend Brunch. French & Vietnamese fusion cuisine in a modern setting. Reservations required.
Bateau $$$ 1040 E Union Street www.restaurantbateau.com
Dinner, Dessert. Upscale yet cozy contemporary steakhouse with local, sustainable cuts from Whidbey Island.
Lark $$$ 952 E Seneca Street larkseattle.com
Dinner and Dessert. Artisan American dishes and seafood in a contemporary setting with a mezzanine raw bar.
Bar Melusine $$$ 1060 E Union Street www.barmelusine.com
Weekend Brunch, Dinner (5-10), Happy Hour (5-6) M-Fri. French seafood restaurant with locally sourced shellfish.
Downtown Seattle (Within 15-minute walking distance from the Hotel Sorrento)
The Carlile Room $$ 820 Pine Street www.thecarlile.com
4 pm-midnight Tues-Sat, Late Night Happy Hour. Music starting at 10 pm every Fri. & Sat.
Cinque Terre Ristorante $$ 2001 Westlake Ave www.cinqueterreseattle.com
Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour. Modern Italian. House-made pasta, brick-oven artisan pizzas, & local seafood.
Wild Ginger $$ 1401 3rd Avenue www.wildginger.net
Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour. Large, popular pan-Asian restaurant. Next to the symphony.
Loulay Kitchen & Bar $$ 600 Union Street thechefinthehat.com
Brunch, Lunch, Dinner. French Restaurant serving award-winning small plates.
Tulio Ristorante $$$ 1100 5th Avenue www.tulio.com
Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner. Beautiful dark wood-paneled Italian restaurant located in the Kimpton Hotel
Metropolitan Grill $$$ 820 2nd Ave themetropolitangrill.com
Lunch, Dinner. An upscale yet classic steakhouse with prime cuts and decadent desserts.
Further Away (Madison Valley, Capitol Hill)
Café Flora $$ 2901 E Madison Street cafeflora.com
Brunch (9-2), Dinner (5-9). Vegetarian & vegan restaurant serving seasonal dishes and organic loose-leaf tea.
Monsoon $$ 615 19th Avenue E www.monsoonrestaurants.com
Lunch, Dinner (11:30-10), Weekend Dim Sum Brunch, Dinner (10-10). Modern Vietnamese restaurant and bar.
Bar Cantinetta $$ 2811 E Madison Street www.barcantinetta.com
Dinner, Happy Hour (5-10). Italian bar and restaurant serving specialty pastas and small plates.
Voilà! Bistrot $$ 2805 E Madison Street www.voilabistrot.com
Lunch, Dinner, Happy Hour (T-Sat 11:30-9, Sun 5-9). Cozy wood-paneled French bistro with a patio.